Tuesday 17 July 2012

8 July 2012 - Namibia

Today, Sunday, me and dad got up early again to go and search for "the one that got away..." Oom Dick also got up to walk through another camp so that he could try and shoot his kudu. It was a cold morning and after coffee and rusks we drove with my car to Tzaas, where Oom Thys stays. He took us with his bakkie to the camp where dad and I sat yesterday. Three of the workers also came with.

We started walking around the camp in an "organised" fashion in order to try and spot either tracks or blood. The workers know about tracks, so they took the lead. I walked around the camp praying as it gave me some time alone. I could also sing a bit, something I don't do to much of in front of strangers...

We walked around searching for some 3 hours, with not even a trace of any blood: NOTHING. I was more convinced than ever that I missed and it hurts to type this here... ouch! I was about 500m away from the rest of the group when I started hearing shouts and hooters. As I walked closer I could hear dad whistling and calling my name. I thought, I hoped, that they found something, but alas, nothing. They waited for me to get on the bakkie and drive around the camp.

On our way back to my car dad had his gun loaded looking for another kudu, but we found nothing. I felt bad since, if I did shoot the kudu, I must be in some pain. Lets hope not. We got to the car and went back to the farmhouse. Oom dick was also back, but he again had no shot at a kudu. Not our day...

It was time for a real boere breakfast. The ladies exceeded themselves with the preparation and we had a feast. Oom Piets older sister, Tannie Sandra and her husband, Hennie, came from Otjiwarongo to join us for the day. Little did we know what a blessed brunch this would turn out to be!

As we sat listening to all the stories as was the habbit during meals, Melindri told everyone how afraid she was during their stay on the previous part of their trip, before we joined. One thing lead to another and soon it was stories about ghosts, witchcraft and the like. Things that some of us do not really believe in. Since dad is a pastor everyone wanted his opinion and soon we were in a bit of dialog. I call this destiny, some might call it chance.

Grandpa told his story about the comfort he received via a vision he had when his daughter, Mariaan, passed away at only about 18 months. Oom Piet and Tannie Magda's youngest son, Klein Piet, also passed away during 2006. The atmosphere was tangible. Devine intervention took place. There was no dry eye in the house. Thats how God works, through ordinary people being obedient to Him.

By the time that was finished it was time for lunch. It was around 4pm when we finished eating again. What a day, and it is still not finished! We all got onto 2 of the bakkies and were off to Taurus, grandpa's farm where dad grew up. It is now owned by a Herero family and all wanted to see what its like. The guns went with. just in case...

As "luck" would have it a herd of kudu appear at the 'pos' close to Oom Thys' house. Oom Dick to a shot and had it: A young kudu bull. Its throat was slit so that it would not be in pain and we drove on. Taurus was a bit of a shock. I didn't know it from before so it didn't hurt me as much, but Oom Dick was visibly upset. Dad saw it in 2004 so he knew what to expect. The degree of decay was indescribable. The camps had been overtaken by thick bush while the house practically fell apart. Years of hard work down the drain...

Little did I know that the best part of the day still lay ahead. When we got back to the kudu we loaded it on the back of the Cruiser and, before I could get away, I received a 'special' part of the kudu as gift. I had to swallow a part of the kudu-testicle raw, as was tradition. Although I did not shoot one, they consensus was that I just didn't find the one I shot. I did it without protesting, but struggled to get it down. Ask Oom Piet about that...

It was jokes and games the rest of the evening since everyone had their opinion about my "incident". The ladies thought it was barbaric, the men knew it had to be done. We took photos and put the skin of the kudu in salt to persevere it. We ate some freshly made kudu liver while Rolandi and Melindri had some of it up their noses: unpleasant!

In all, a greatly successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment