Sunday, 15 July 2012

6 July 2012 - Namibia

We left from Ruan's place at 7am, Namibian time. When crossing the border we had to adjust our watches back by 1 hour as Namibia, much like the UK, adjusts its time during winter. We had a few good laughs about this during our stay as some of the locals are opposed to this. What I found interesting is that the GPS adjusts automatically, thus we arrived an hour 'ealier' than anticipated!

I needed the GPS to leave Windhoek. Everytime I thought is was the end of the city, but soon realised it was just a hill and that the city continues. Big thanks to Garmin! We drove off to the north, through Okahandja and Otjiwarongo to Outjo where we would meet up with the rest of the family who left the RSA a few days earlier.

Okahandja is about 80 kilometres from Windhoek. Since we left early we had time for breakfast there. What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be. We stopped at the first open place, Dekkers Bachery, in the main street. I had bacon and eggs while my wife had a biltong brodchen. It was divine.

It was here that we first experienced the Namibian atmosphere in the true sense of the word. It seemed like all the locals popped in to get a fresh bread, as well as the latest gossip. People waited for their bread in order to ensure they get a hot one. Afterwards we took on the remaining 200-odd kilometres to Outjo, again with plenty of animals.

We met our parents at the farmhouse, a restaurant in town. The building previously hosted a clothing store back in the days my dad stayed there. It is owned by a Herero lady and is an amazing place. I had a chicken salad, coffee and carrot cake for about 70 Namibian dollars. We spent more than an hour eating and chatting before going on a 'guided tour' of Outjo, facilitated by dad.
He showed us a house that his dad build in the 1950's. Grandpa and I walked into the yard as it was now fully walled. The people were friendly and allowed us to look around. We also saw the primary and secondary schools where dad matriculated. Also the 2 hostels he stayed in. There are many old churches, as well as the building that hosted the cheese factory. The owners son attended school with dad.

At around 3pm we left to Ombinda Lodge 1km out of town. Here we met up with several of dads cousins and uncles. My wife knew some of them, but I met all of them for the first time. They told stories of the past and were very happy to see each other again after so many years. I also learned about the 'nefie-bond'...
It was time to go to dads best friends house on the farms about 50km out of town, towards Etosha. They stayed on the neighbouring farm where dad grew up. We got there around 6pm with the sun setting. Just in time for the fire to be lit. Uncle Dick, grandpa's youngest brother also came with for the weekend. He and dad grew up together as they are only 3 years apart. 

Oom Piet started the fire and we had chops again, what a treat. Next to the fire I had a very special moment. Dad presented me with a kierie (cane) as was the tradition in my varsity hostel, Veritas. This proclaims that you can now be seen as a man. He did this as my father passed away when I was 5 years old. I appreciated it a lot and it filled me with pride. Words could not describe it.!/lightbox/home/Photos/Namibie%202012!/lightbox/home/Photos/Namibie%202012

Tannie Magda made pap with assistance from the ladies. We would get to now each other better around the dinner table that night with stories from past and present. Legendary people!

No comments:

Post a Comment